It’s almost game time! The biggest sporting event of the year is just two days away. Super Bowl LI between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons will be watched by an estimated 120 Million people. If you are like many of those people and myself, you will most likely be watching at a watch party surrounded with friends, family and a lot of food. On average, Americans will consumer 6,000 calories during the 4-5 hour game……yeah that’s the equivalent to how many calories one would burn if they ran a full marathon.
I’ll definitely be indulging more than usual during the game this weekend, but I’m going to try to make sure that there are some healthier options and snacks available. This way I can still indulge in some great food but not worry about what may happen to my waist line. My contribution to the watch party snacks will be a twist on the classic mozzarella sticks. I’ll cooking up some awesome Baked Parmesan Zucchini Sticks (yea, I’ll be the guy who brings something somewhat healthy and I’m not ashamed). Below is the recipe.
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into quarters
- Season salt
- Garlic Powder
- Crushed black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pam Non-Stick Olive Oil Spray (or regular olive oil, just be careful not to use too much)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and slice into quarters or your desired size
- Mix cheese and seasonings together (feel free to adjust the seasoning to your desired taste. I’ll add in red pepper flakes or chili powder if I know the crowd I’ll be with likes spicier foods)
- Spray the zucchini spears with the non-stick olive oil and dredge the zucchini in the cheese and seasoning mixture
- Place the zucchini spears on a cooling rack. Spread them out so that they are not touching each other
- Once the zucchini is spread out on the cooling rack, place the cooling rack on a baking sheet. By doing this, you will allow the moisture to drip out of the zucchini and the spears will not be sitting in liquid while they cook. This is key to making sure the spears are crispy and not soggy.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. You can also add to the broiler for 2-3 minutes after baking if you want them extra crispy/browned.
This is just a quick recipe I’ve thrown together from other recipes I’ve seen and tweaked for my personal preference. If you have any recommendations/suggestions, I would love to hear them!